Friday, September 5, 2014

KRUSH GROOVE - MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUND TRACK

Although I knew who most of the people in this movie were, I didn't actually see Krush Groove until it was released on DVD back in the early 2000's.  But I knew a lot about the movie and I already had the soundtrack on cassette.

I won't go into the movie because it's not really important to this review.  I mainly bought the CD because of the Sheila E. solo number which was co-written by Prince.  It was released as a single, but this is the only place you can find it on CD.

There were a lot of great songs in the movie that didn't make the album.  Sadly...  But oh well.  You can't always control what's going to happen with a soundtrack.  There's some great material on this record, but there's also a lot of bad stuff too.  This record basically shows you the development of Hip Hop and Rap.  These were the artists who created the genre.  And compared to the artists in the genre today, this stuff sounds amateurish and outdated.  

There's not much to be said for the rap numbers except you can hear some really interesting music by rappers like LL Cool J and The Beastie Boys.

Right off the bat, you have Chaka Khan doing the main title number and it's a great song!  A remix of the track closes the disc out.  I quite like it and I really liked what she was doing during this whole time period.  This was about the same time she covered 'I Feel For You' by Prince.  It's followed by LL Cool J doing 'I Can't Live Without My Radio'.  Not his best effort, but still kinda fun to listen to.  Kurtis Blow is next and I don't like this song at all.  In fact, I cringe when I hear it.  I find it embarrassing.  It's followed by the Fat Boys big hit, 'All You Can Eat'.  You can tell most of these raps were written or produced by the same people because they have very similar rhyme schemes and beats.  Of the tracks the Fat Boys performed on the film, this is not the best and I'm surprised the others were left off.

Debbie Harry is up next with 'Feel The Spin'.  It's not her strongest or most memorable song, but it's a good one.  I like it.  This track has a mix at the end of the disc as well.

Sheila E.'s 'Holly Rock' kicks in and is easily the best track on the record.  There's one other track that comes close but we'll discuss that in a minute.  If you don't know 'Holly Rock', you need to hear it.  NOW!

Beastie Boys are next with 'She's On It' and this is a great number.  They do a really good job with this song.  The Gap Band deliver 'Love Triangle' which has some good ideas but doesn't go anywhere.  The next track is the 2nd best song on the album and it's phenomenal.  'Tender Love' by Force MD's is written and produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.  It's beautiful.

The closing number is the entire cast performing 'Krush Groovin''.  Another boring number that leaves me feeling flushed and slightly annoyed.  

I'm happy this disc has finally seen a CD release and I'm enjoying it immensely, but I'll be honest with you, this is one disc that sounds super dated.  You won't listen to this record and find yourself amazed at how well the sound has endured.  Because most of the material you'll hear is trendy.  They followed a pattern and structure created by a producer that never really evolved.

It's still worth it just for the good tracks because the good songs outnumber the bad ones.  My final words:  A BLAST FROM THE PAST THAT COULDN'T LAST...

KRUSH GROOVE - MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUND TRACK
01. Chaka Khan - (Krush Groove) Can't Stop The Street
02. LL Cool J - I Can't Live Without My Radio (Short Version)
03. Kurtis Blow - If I Ruled The World
04. Fat Boys - All You Can Eat
05. Debbie Harry - Feel The Spin
06. Sheila E. - Holly Rock
07. Beastie Boys - She's On It
08. Gap Band - Love Triangle
09. Force MD's - Tender Love
10. Fat Boys, Run-D.M.C., Sheila E., & Kurtis Blow (The Krush Groove All Stars) - Krush Groovin'
11. Debbie Harry - Feel The Spin (Extended Remix)
12. Chaka Khan - (Krush Groove) Can't Stop The Street (Extended Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment