Friday, November 4, 2011

PET SHOP BOYS - BEHAVIOR.

This was the very first Pet Shop Boys album I bought and I should like to ramble a little about how I discovered them... Like anyone growing up in the 80's, I knew the huge hit single, 'West End Girls'. I'd seen the video and knew the name of the Pet Shop Boys, but my efforts were geared more towards synth bands with strange hair and leather pants rather than a neatly trimmed duo with sensible shoes. I certainly liked the song and recorded it off the radio many times, but I never bought one of their records. Then, in the mid-90's, I was in a band in SLC and the lead singer was a Pet Shop Boys fanatic. He had everything they'd ever done including singles. Thus, my exposure to the band began. And through this exposure, my appreciation for the group.

After that relationship soured and I moved to Las Vegas, I picked up this little number at a used CD store. I remember having heard the disc before with my ex bandmate, but the only song I could recall with any clarity was 'My October Symphony'. Mainly because I found the title so odd. As I listened to the record the first time through, I was surprised to find my impression was completely different from what I'd thought when I listened to it with him.

'Being Boring' is the opening track and the music features sweeping harp sounds and a confidential vocal delivery from Neil who treats the song like a secret he's telling a close friend. It's a recollection, but one of deep personal meaning. I listen to it and although I don't relate to the lyric entirely, I do get caught up in the nostalgia. I think of my younger days and the crazy things I experienced. Of course for people my age, our movements weren't as political or dramatic as previous generations. Our biggest dilemmas were fashion and nuclear war. Even though 'Being Boring' has a mid-tempo beat, it's still largely on the slow side and it's followed up by a ballad. 'This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave' was written years before the first Harry Potter book was released and yet every time I hear the song I think of Harry leaving Privet Dr. and heading to King's Cross Station. This is the song I imagine going through his mind. 'To Face The Truth' features a light Merengue beat and another emotional song about a couple facing problems because of infidelity and lying.

'How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?' is the first song with a serious beat. It still falls in the mid-tempo range, but it's at least got some momentum. As I mention in the single review, I suspect this song is about a specific person, though I have no idea who it is. It's essentially a song about a famous person who diminishes their own credibility by behaving badly. 'Only The Wind' comes in directly afterward with those punctuating orchestral hits that were so big in the 80's. Like magic, they're only there to serve as misdirection. The real meat of the song is in the lyrics and the soulful vocals by Neil. As a vocalist, Neil doesn't have a huge range or an overwhelming presence. The appeal is in his pronunciation and his ability to emote vulnerability and other emotions through his singing style. 'My October Symphony' picks up the pace a little. Without moving beyond the comfortable sound they've established on the record thus far, the duo embrace a skipping drum beat to embellish with strings and piano. This is the song I remember most from earlier exposure to the record.

After so many relaxed numbers, 'So Hard' moves in like a dance floor tank rumbling across the debris of a shattered smooth surface. The only subdued aspect of the song is the virtual whisper of Neil Tennant. Again, the stabbing orchestra hits make a return appearance and this time not to the benefit of the song. They are distracting and create a tension the song doesn't need at all. As much as I like the lyrics of the song, I can't escape the melodrama in the music. It's too powerful. 'Nervously' is the return to established form as far as the record is concerned. It's also the obligatory gay love song. Just listen to the lyrics. 'Jealousy' ends the album on a quiet sombre note. It deals once again with infidelity. I mention it before 'The End Of The World' because for me, the tracks play better this way. I love the build on this number and in my opinion, this is the only dance number on the entire record. It's a wonderful progression, interesting lyrics with an excellent delivery and a beat that's simply infectious. The Pet Shop Boys have mastered this sound, but back then it was still a hit and miss at times. In the case of this song, they hit the bullseye. And it's a far more positive and powerful way to end the record than 'Jealousy'. Hence my reason for sticking it at the end.

Overall, I found a lot of things to be interested in when I listened to this record. I heard lyrics that were positively brilliant and thought provoking. I also felt myself drawn to the soft spoken quality in Neil Tennant's voice. The music is a nod to period electronica with references to show tunes and motion picture scoring. I liked it enough to buy more and that's all that matters. In this case, they succeeded famously. My final words: POIGNANT AND CLEVER.


PET SHOP BOYS - BEHAVIOR.
01. Being Boring
02. This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave
03. To Face The Truth
04. How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?
05. Only The Wind
06. My October Symphony
07. So Hard
08. Nervously
09. The End Of The World
10. Jealousy

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Behaviour is a lovely album. I believe it was the last one to get any serious attention in the USA? 'Being Boring' has to be one of the best songs they've ever done (IMHO). It's about Neil's best friend who died of AIDS in the late 80s.

    Have you read the Geowayne Pet Shop Boys Commentary website? You might enjoy his take on the meaning behind the songs on Behaviour.
    http://geowayne.com/psb.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops, correct link here:
    http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it, but I will now you've suggested it! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete